no scroll when selecting text?

Sometimes I need to select and cut a portion of a letter, so I can
paste the portion into another document which I am composing in emacs.

The only way I have found to select text (other than to use SELECT ALL
from the EDIT menu) is drag the cursor, using the mouse.  But, when I
attempt to drag past the bottom of the screen, the screen doesn't
scroll as I drag.

A work-around is to use SELECT ALL, paste the entire letter, then use
emacs to edit out the unwanted material.

Is this a bug?

Is there a keyboard-only method for selecting text to cut?

RLH