'more' SMTP problems

I am running Balsa 1.4.4 on Red Hat Linux 7.3.  I have not been able
to get 'smtp' to work.  I have tried manually setting the port to 25 and
587.  No help.  I have seen the following output in netstat, though I'm not
sure what to make of it:

with balsa:

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0      1 moms_linux.locald:33618 smtp.east.co:submission SYN_SENT
(and nothing else)

with pine:

Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0      6 moms_linux.locald:33619 smtp.east.cox.net:smtp  ESTABLISHED
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address
State
tcp        0      1 moms_linux.locald:33619 smtp.east.cox.net:smtp  LAST_ACK

Anne Racel