IMAP and UI/preference issues in balsa-1.4.2

I'm trying to migrate my mailreading to another machine in preparation for
a server upgrade and decided to try out IMAP support in balsa.  The new
environment has balsa-1.4.2 installed and after sorting out the issues with
libmutt apparently requiring TLS if the server advertises STARTTLS.  Yes, I
realize the server advertises STARTTLS, but I have never configured SSL/TLS
stuff and don't want to figure it out right now.  A little user config option
here would be nice.  So I rebuilt the imap server without SSL and am up.  My
primary mailbox is about 6MB and has around 700 messages in it.  Startup wasn't
too bad, but after reading/deleting a few messages it seemed to lock up for
what felt like minutes.  I was probably fetching a large message or something,
but from the UI I had no clue what was going on?  It has the feel of network
related stuff, but my client is inches away from the server and they are
both connected to 100 Mbit switch via a couple of feet of cable.  I guess
I've been spoiled by local mbox mailreading for too long.

So I left the IMAP mailbox open and it got automatically closed for me while
I was getting dinner, but I had a terrible time getting it to open again.  I
clicked on it several times and it did nothing.  I right clicked and selected
Open from the menu and nothing happened.  I opened my local inbox, then went
back and tried to open the IMAP box again and nothing happened.  I checked the
IMAP mailbox properties and clicked on the update button (though I didn't
change anything) and then tryed to open it and it finally connected again.
I'm sure I have something configured wrong so if someone has a clue to what
may be wrong (other than the loose nut behind the keyboard :-)....

On the UI front, what happened to the mailbox tabs with the little close
buttons?  Oh and double clicking a large multipart HTML message with attachments
brings up a message viewing window with a bizarre layout (and minus scrollbars
which are absolutely necessary as only about 10% of the content is displayed).
Resizing the window restored sane geometry and put the scrollbar up.

I'll keep playing with this for a few days, but I'm thinking a balsa downgrade
may be in order.

--
Lynn Kerby <mailto:lfk@kerbit.net>