Re: RFC: show/hide deleted messages

On 2003.01.09 14:47 Steffen Klemer wrote:
> Am 2003.01.09 19:16 schrieb(en) M. Thielker:
>> Hello,
>>
>> On 2003.01.09 18:29 Peter Bloomfield wrote:
>>> I propose the following changes in the way Balsa handles the
>>> showing and hiding of deleted messages.
>>
>> Makes a lot of sense to me.
>>

> for me as well
> Another thing: Why do we want show deleted msgs at all?
> I can't see a real reason for this (except perhaps debugging).
>
> A deleted msg moves to the trash (in the mind of the user, not
> on disk!) and if I look for deleted msgs or want to delete them
> completely I have to go there...

Deleting a message in-place instead of moving it to the Trash
avoids making a copy, which can be critical if you're trying to
keep an IMAP account under its quota!  If you go that route,
however, you then need to be able to see the deleted message if
you're ever going to want the option to undelete it (before it
gets committed to the round file...).

One other, perhaps not-so-minor, point: when you're working with
a threaded view, the deleted message is left in the thread, so
its children don't get spread all over creation by resorting! But
perhaps there's a better way to achieve that...