Re: Several balsa bugs I'm about to submit to bugzilla.

On Mon, 01 Dec 2003 14:21:25, Miquel van Smoorenburg wrote:

> save-message
>
> There should be a way to save a single message in raw format
> to a file, preferably in mbox format (meaning it should have
> an initial From_ line, that's all)

good point.

> imap-timeout
>
> If you don't access an opened but non-selected mailbox for a while
> and the remote IMAP server times out and closes the connection, balsa
> show an error if you try to open that mailbox again.

this is annoying but i don't think it will get fixed on balsa-2.0

> In my case it's even worse, my window manager handles mouse-over
> as "select window and raise" so if I move to the error message
> box to close it I pass over the information box, which is getting
> raised over the error box as a result, and you have to click on
> the error box first before you can close the information box - AARGH

humm, I was pretty sure the error is marked as modal - time to go check.

> imap-subscribe
>
> Right now the only way to subscribe to new IMAP folders is
> to go settings -> preferences -> modify -> un-select
> "subscribed folders only". Or you can right-click on the
> top container of the IMAP account and select "properties".
>
> Then Balsa becomes very slow as it scans the entire IMAP
> hierarchy and all folders and messages in it, before it
> comes back to life.
>
> It would be better if you could just right-click on the
> top container of the IMAP account and find a
> "subscriptions" menu that popped up a window with all
> the IMAP folders on the server and you could just
> select which folders are subscribed and which are not.

This is a good observation however in IMAP doing what balsa does and what you
are proposing is the same thing. Also, some imap servers are better than
others at this.

> folder-menu
>

> The options you get in the folder window when right clicking
> are confusing and should be more context-dependent. Right now,
> for example when selecting "new IMAP subfolder" it doesn't
> even remember where in the tree you clicked on it and you have
> to enter manually "create as subfolder of". And you can click

That is anoying yeah.

> on a local folder and get "new remote IMAP mailbox".

You start with local folders only - how do you add an IMAP mailbox ?

> First, the local folders should all be in a "local folders" tree,
> just like remote folders are in a "remote folder" tree. It

remote folders aren't in a remote folder tree, each imap server is a tree of
its own to represent the folder organization on server

> would be more logical and it would allow one to keep multiple
> folder collections. You would also be able to set the folder type
> for that tree (i.e. mbox, maildir, MH).

you can't just set the folder type! that means recreating the folder from
scratch!

> Then the right-click menu should just show:
>
> * When top-level or a folder is selected:
>
> - new subfolder   (for something that contains mailboxes)
> - new mailbox     (for a mailbox)
>
> * When a mailbox is selected:
>
> - rescan
> - properties
> - edit filter
> - delete

> As you can see I left out the "new local mailbox / IMAP subfolder etc".
> That doesn't make sense. That should be in a seperate menu (see above).

You need to able to add single IMAP mailboxes, as oposed to folders. You also
need to be able to create new folders in servers.
Maybe the folder/subfolder nomenclature is a bit confusing and yes, it would
be a bit better if the new subfolder item was more context sensitive

> Same goes for "mark as Inbox/Sent/Drafts". That should also be in
> a seperate menu (settings -> preferences -> mail options -> outgoing),
> no need to clutter up the mailbox menu with that.

No. Inbox doesn't have anything to do with outgoing. Nor does Drafts.

> The "File -> New" hierarchy should look like this:
>
> - Local mbox folder set

this doesn't make sense, a "mbox folder set" is just a directory with mboxes.

> - Local maildir folder set

This doesn't exist.

> - Local MH folder set

Some MUAs can't see nested MH folders

> - Remote IMAP account

see above.

> - Remote POP3 account
>
> For the "local mbox folder set" the INBOX should be special
> cased, since unlike MH and Maildir the INBOX is usually not
> located in the directory all the other mailboxes are in.

Are you trying to group local folders by type ? I don't get it.

> Also, perhaps the folder-tree should have a root common to all local
> and remote folders/accounts that, when right-clicked on, shows
> the same File -> New menu.

I think have a hierarchy for local folders makes stuff harder to find. I'm a
great fan of alphabetical order.

> imap-new-folder
>
> If you create a new folder on an IMAP server you are not
> subscribed to it. If the IMAP account is set to show only
> subscribed folders, the new folder should be subscribed
> to automatically, otherwise you can't see it.

Good point.

> compose-prefs
>
> When composing a new message from the "compose" button, Balsa should
> use the properties (identity, etc) of the currently active folder.

This is commonly requested, sounds like a good idea.

> folder-prefs
>
> The folder preferences menu should have some extra options:
>
> - Standard Cc: / Bcc: / Reply-To: header settings

this is all part of identities

> - Possibility to add customized headers (X-whatever: yes)

this might be usefull for RIPE mail :)

> - (perhaps) Location of drafts / sent folder

Ok, Sent could be a Identities thing

> composer-include-file
>
> If you're in the message composer, and you open a file with
> File -> Include (or attach), Balsa doesn't remember the directory
> you selected. So if you select a directory 10 levels down your
> homedir, and you later want to attach another file from that
> directory, you need to navigate to that directory all over again.

Works for me (2.0.15-cvs)

> external-editor
>
> It would be great if Balsa could run an external editor in the
> standard compose window.

eeek!

> I'd be happy if it was somehow possible if, instead of the balsa
> editor, that window would include the 'zvt' terminal emulator
> and a text editor (for me, "vi", for others, perhaps pico, emacs or joe).

you can invoke whatever you told is the gnome text editor from the edit menu.
however, it won't be swallowed by the composer window.

> The "plugger" for mozilla appears to be able to embed one X
> application in the window of another. Perhaps that is a viable
> sample implementation to follow (so vim-gtk would work ;) )
>
> Or perhaps there is a standard Gnome way to do this kind of thing.
> I don't care, as long as I can use "vi".

Preferences->Preferred Applications->Text Editor

--
Carlos Morgado - chbm(a)ma.ssive.net - http://chbm.net/
0x1FC57F0A FP:0A27 35D3 C448 3641 0573 6876 2A37 4BB2 1FC5 7F0A