Re: performance issues with large numbers of folders

On 08/19/2003, Noah Levitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I’m a mutt user, but I want to use balsa, because a terminal
> program can’t support the type of i18n that gtk+ programs
> can. But so far, I’ve run into performance problems that
> prevent me from switching.
>
> I have about 4000 folders under ~/mail.

[ Performance issues and suggestions snipped ]

Another strategy would be to defer scanning the tree, as we can
for IMAP folders, and defer loading each mailbox view until the
mailbox is found. The mailbox view is used to record whether or
not the mailbox is visible, so the tree could be populated only
as far as it was expanded in your previous session (actually, one
level deeper, so we know whether a visible folder has children).
Of course, if you have all 4000 folders visible, that wouldn't
save you any time...but in that case, probably nothing will!

The deferred scanning part is working quite well now in IMAP
trees (OK, in mine!).

Comments?