Aw: Re: Folder tree does not display iso-8859-1 characters properly

> Ah. Maybe I should ask someone why my terminal emulator/shell can't
> display UTF-8 correctly =) ?

Afaik, all you have to do is setting your xterm to a iso10646 font (instead of iso8859) and add "-u8" to interpet input as utf-8.

> Seriously, doesn't the whole file-system have to be renamed then, along
> with mucho headache?

Yes, but you can do this automagically, at least if you don't have file names containing a whitespace. Assuming you're using bash and want to convert german Umlauts:

for n in $(find . -name "*[äöüÄÖÜß]*") ; do
new=$(echo $n | iconv -f iso-8859-15 -t utf8)
mv "$n" "$new"
done

This may, however, have unwanted side effects on old (non utf-8 aware) apps...

Hth, Albrecht.