Re: Folder tree does not display iso-8859-1 characters properly

On 2003-04-02 13:14, Pawel Salek wrote:

> On 2003.04.01 22:43, Martin Uddén wrote:
>> When my maildir contains folders/mailboxes having high-byte
>> iso-8859-1 characters in them, the folder tree pane's pango-calls
>> complain that I try to pass illegal UTF-8 to it. The names are
>> truncated after the first high-byte character.

> I have heard the opinion that the filenames are supposed to be in
> UTF-8, otherwise you would see different glyphs depending on your
> locale. Nautilus and the file open/save dialog would have the same
> problems: you would get messages similar to following:
>
> Gtk-Message: The filename "a\366df" couldn't be converted to UTF-8
> (try setting the environment variable G_BROKEN_FILENAMES): Invalid
> byte sequence in conversion input
>
> Or have I completely misunderstood you?

Ah. Maybe I should ask someone why my terminal emulator/shell can't
display UTF-8 correctly =) ?

Seriously, doesn't the whole file-system have to be renamed then, along
with mucho headache?

I understand that applications like evolution use UTF-8 in eg its
folder names, but isn't this a Bad Thing, if the file system is in
iso-8859-* ?

Could you point me to some info re UTF-8 vs. iso in linux file systems?

			// Martin