Folder tree does not display iso-8859-1 characters properly

When my maildir contains folders/mailboxes having high-byte iso-8859-1
characters in them, the folder tree pane's pango-calls complain that I
try to pass illegal UTF-8 to it. The names are truncated after the
first high-byte character.

When these folders/mailboxes are renamed to valid UTF-8, the problem
disappears.

My question is: is this a well known bug in balsa or just a
misconfiguration on my part? I searched the gnome bugzilla on balsa,
but didn't find anything relevant.

The problem is not affected by the LANG or LC_CTYPE environment
variables.

A simple fix would be to just convert the iso-8859-1 strings (or
whatever codepage) to UTF-8 before asking pango to display them. Any
coders on this list?

				// Martin