Balsa crash on draft save attempt

Have you ever had Balsa crash on you when you did substantial work to compose
a mail and figured "I ought to save this draft so I don't lose it" and then
lost it all the same because of the crash? Well I just have (Balsa 1.3.7).

I looked for a temporary, possibly hidden, file that might have been the file
system backing for the editor, but didn't find one. Are drafts kept only in
memory? If so, what would it take to create file system backing so recovery
could be possible?

I guess that might really be a gnome-edit issue? Can I use vi (which understands
recovery) instead? (Please don't comment that you have another favorite editor,
we can do without another such flame war).

Thanks, willem Riede.