Weird things with non-ASCII messages

I've had some problems in Balsa with messages that are in neither ASCII
nor UTF-8 (these two always work fine). For example, I recently opened
with Balsa an mbox file containing messages with Cyrillic characters
encoded in CP1251. Other mail programs can view them fine; even if they
can't show the actual characters, they will display a string of
gibberish showing that there is indeed text there, just not in a
legible charset. In Balsa, it seems that when the program reaches a
character in a certain charset, it hits a bump and flies over half the
message before resuming the display.

This was repeated today when I received a message formatted, accorded
to its header, in ISO-8859-1. Large gaps were missing from the message,
I had to open the mbox file in gedit to see the thing correctly.

Are these known problems? I can attach a screenshot if no one
understands.

Christopher Culver <christopher_culver@yahoo.com>