ellipses in the menu [was Re: Proposal for a new Preferences window]

Am 2002.11.17 11:41 schrieb(en) M. Thielker:
> Hello,
>
> On 2002.11.17 10:10 Steffen Klemer wrote:
>> Simply speaking about the menu - there shouldn't be these ellipses
>> after the words "Preferences", "Customize" and "Identity" because they
>> don't need further interaction to be performed - they simply open new
>> windows.
>
> Well, it seems like it's a common practice to have an ellipsis after a
> menu option that opens a modal dialog. There is no ellipsis after
> options that open modeless dialogs, but these, AFAIK, should really be
> in te "View" menu, generally speaking.
>
> This, of course, is not from the HIG but from my personal observations.
> I believe that M$ HIGs mandate an ellipsis in this case, but Windoze
> uses modal dialogs much more than Gnome does, as a matter of fact, in
> Windows dialogs ae modal by default and special steps have to be taken
> to make them modeless.

 From the Gnome HIG:
---------
Label the menu item with a trailing ellipsis ("...") only if the command
requires further input from the user before it can be performed. Do not
add an ellipsis to items that only present a confirmation dialog (such as
Delete), or that do not require further input (such as Properties,
Preferences or About).
--------

The only items in the Balsa menu needing ellipses are in my eyes:

* The new items
* Print
* The items in Message already containing the ellipses except "View source"
* and perhaps "edit/apply filters"

But perhaps that is a minor problem... :-)

> Melanie

cu
/Steffen

--
  /"\
  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign    |       The final delusion is the