Re: Proposal for a new Preferences window

Hello,

On 2002.11.17 10:10 Steffen Klemer wrote:
> Simply speaking about the menu - there shouldn't be these ellipses after
> the words "Preferences", "Customize" and "Identity" because they don't
> need further interaction to be performed - they simply open new windows.

Well, it seems like it's a common practice to have an ellipsis after a menu
option that opens a modal dialog. There is no ellipsis after options that
open modeless dialogs, but these, AFAIK, should really be in te "View"
menu, generally speaking.

This, of course, is not from the HIG but from my personal observations. I
believe that M$ HIGs mandate an ellipsis in this case, but Windoze uses
modal dialogs much more than Gnome does, as a matter of fact, in Windows
dialogs ae modal by default and special steps have to be taken to make them
modeless.

Melanie