Re: Simplification of preferences

Hello,

Just to add something from my experience...

On 2002.11.14 09:45 M. Thielker wrote:
>> Startup
>>   Open Inbox upon startup
>>       Maybe we should always do that? Or use (existing) command line
>>       option only to control behaviour.
>
> Unless we have an Evo-like startup page, that could go away. It makes
> no sense to _not_ open the inbox on startup. For those rare
> exceptions, a command line option would be fine, I guess.
>
>>   Check mail upon startup
>>       Remove preference; decide on sensible behaviour common to all.
>
> That's no good for dialup users who may not be connected and may not
> want to dial when opening the program. There seems to be no reliable
> method to detect a dialup settting, so it needs to remain a pref.

When I am travelling I have the balsa on my laptop configured to not
open Inbox on startup as well as to not check mail upon startup.

Sometimes I am dialled up, sometime I'm not connected to any network,
sometimes I'm on a private lan - and my Inbox is an IMAP mailbox back
in the office here, hence it's not always accessable when I start
balsa. So to prevent long startup delays I have both these options
turned off and only open/check my inbox when I know I have network
access to it.

Regards,
Glenn