Re: [RFC] The `Manage Identities' dialog

On 2002.05.14 05:07 Carlos Morgado wrote:

> doesn't gnome2 UI guide mentions a list of radio buttons for this
> cases ? i don't have any reference handy atm but i'd say
> radiobuttongroup should take care of selection and signaling
> selected. am i wrong ?

You're right on both counts. However, we need a simple way of taking
two different actions:
  - selecting an identity, for editing or removal;
  - activating an identity, i.e. setting as default.
One set of radiobuttons will take care of only one of these.

> imo UIwise a simple list would do just fine but gnome2 seems rather
> bent on getting rid of simple list for single choices.

Iirc they're still recommended when the list has too many items to be
shown conveniently as radiobuttons or a notebook.

Related topic: why does the present dialog display all the information
about an identity, and an `edit' button to bring up a new dialog with
an editable version of the same info? It seems like a lot of trouble:
why not make the original display editable, with its own `apply' and
`cancel' buttons?

Would the whole widget be cleaner as a notebook, with a check-mark on
the tab of the default identity? Does anyone use too many identities to
show without scrolling?