Re: Folder names containing blanks [Was: Re: ANNOUNCE: balsa-1.3.2 released.]

Am 2002.03.03 15:38 schrieb(en) Peter Bloomfield:

[to me privately - I hope you don't mind if I reply in public]

> I'd be surprised if it was the blank: there was a time when Balsa had
> trouble with blank characters in IMAP mailbox names, but not
> recently, and even then it could parse the tree correctly. I have
> many mailboxes with such names (on a Cyrus server), and have never
> seen the phantoms that you're getting.

I'm getting a phantom folder (1.2.4) or directory (1.3.2) for every
directory whose name contains a blank and the subdirectories thereof,
but not for any other directory.

I can reproduce this behavior for two directories I have just created
for the purpose:

Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/
Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/ChildOfFolderWithoutBlank
Mail/A Folder With Blanks/
Mail/A Folder With Blanks/ChildOfFolderWithBlanks

Balsa 1.2.4 displays a phantom folder under Mail/A Folder With Blanks/
, but not under Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/

> This is evidently a different tree from the one for which you sent
> the dialogue. Have you made a similar dump for this one? It would
> have to show `ADDING FOLDER...' messages for each phantom--perhaps
> the IMAP dialogue preceding each one would give some hint as to
> what's going on.

I'll have to abbreviate a bit. The dialog with the IMAP server is more
than 2000 lines long. :-)

I used a sniffer script (posted earlier in this mailing list). sock7 is
the name of the socket between Balsa 1.2.4 and the sniffer; sock8 is is
the name of the socket between the sniffer and the server. I substituted
\r for the carriage return character and \n plus a newline character for
the newline character.

sock8:* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN]
jeeves IMAP4rev1 2000.284 at Sun, 3 Mar 2002 16:41:17 +0100 (MET)\r\n

sock7:a0000 CAPABILITY\r\n

sock8:* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 NAMESPACE IDLE MAILBOX-REFERRALS
SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND
LOGIN-REFERRALS AUTH=LOGIN\r\n
a0000 OK CAPABILITY completed\r\n

sock7:a0001 LOGIN "xxxxxx" "xxxxxx"\r\n

sock8:* CAPABILITY IMAP4 IMAP4REV1 NAMESPACE IDLE MAILBOX-REFERRALS
SCAN SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND\r\n
a0001 OK LOGIN completed\r\n

sock7:a0002 LIST "" ""\r\n

sock8:* LIST (\NoSelect) "/" ""\r\n
a0002 OK LIST completed\r\n

sock7:a0003 LSUB "" "Mail/%"\r\n

sock8:* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank\r\n
* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank\r\n
* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" "Mail/A Folder With Blanks"\r\n
* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" "Mail/A Folder With Blanks"\r\n

[abbreviated]

a0003 OK LSUB completed\r\n

sock7:a0004 LSUB "" "Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/%"\r\n

sock8:* LSUB () "/" Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/\r\n
* LSUB () "/" Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/ChildOfFolderWithoutBlank\r\n
a0004 OK LSUB completed\r\n

sock7:a0005 LSUB "" "Mail/A Folder With Blanks/%"\r\n

sock8:* LSUB () "/" "Mail/A Folder With Blanks/"\r\n
* LSUB () "/" "Mail/A Folder With Blanks/ChildOfFolderWithBlanks"\r\n
a0005 OK LSUB completed\r\n

[abbreviated]

sock7:a0018 LSUB ""
"Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/ChildOfFolderWithoutBlank/%"\r\n

sock8:a0018 OK LSUB completed\r\n

sock7:a0019 LSUB "" "Mail/A Folder With Blanks/%"\r\n

sock8:* LSUB () "/" "Mail/A Folder With Blanks/"\r\n
* LSUB () "/" "Mail/A Folder With Blanks/ChildOfFolderWithBlanks"\r\n
a0019 OK LSUB completed\r\n

sock7:a0020 LSUB "" "Mail/A Folder With
Blanks/ChildOfFolderWithBlanks/%"\r\n

sock8:a0020 OK LSUB completed\r\n

[abbreviated]

sock7:a0320 STATUS "Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/ChildOfFolderWithoutBlank"
(RECENT)\r\n

sock8:* STATUS Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/ChildOfFolderWithoutBlank
(RECENT 0)\r\n
a0320 OK STATUS completed\r\n

sock7:a0321 STATUS "Mail/A Folder With Blanks/" (RECENT)\r\n

sock8:* NO Can't open Mail/A Folder With Blanks/: not a selectable
mailbox\r\n
a0321 NO STATUS failed: Can't open Mail/A Folder With Blanks/: not a
selectable mailbox\r\n

sock7:a0322 STATUS "Mail/A Folder With Blanks/ChildOfFolderWithBlanks"
(RECENT)\r\n

sock8:* STATUS "Mail/A Folder With Blanks/ChildOfFolderWithBlanks"
(RECENT 0)\r\n
a0322 OK STATUS completed\r\n

[abbreviated]

This is what Balsa 1.2.4 writes on the command line (again abbreviated):

Server loaded, host: localhost, port 10143 no SSL
imap_dir: reading for Mail
add_imap_mailbox: add mbox of name INBOX (full path INBOX)
Deph: 0 -------------------------------------------
ADDING FOLDER  Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank
add_imap_folder: Adding folder of path Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank
ADDING FOLDER  Mail/A Folder With Blanks
add_imap_folder: Adding folder of path Mail/A Folder With Blanks

[abbreviated]

Deph: 1 -------------------------------------------
ADDING MAILBOX Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/ChildOfFolderWithoutBlank
ADDING FOLDER  Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/ChildOfFolderWithoutBlank
add_imap_mailbox: add mbox of name ChildOfFolderWithoutBlank (full path
Mail/AFolderWithoutBlank/ChildOfFolderWithoutBlank)
ADDING MAILBOX Mail/A Folder With Blanks/
ADDING FOLDER  Mail/A Folder With Blanks/
add_imap_mailbox: add mbox of name  (full path Mail/A Folder With
Blanks/)
ADDING MAILBOX Mail/A Folder With Blanks/ChildOfFolderWithBlanks
ADDING FOLDER  Mail/A Folder With Blanks/ChildOfFolderWithBlanks
add_imap_mailbox: add mbox of name ChildOfFolderWithBlanks (full path