Balsa vs. Evolution

Hi all.
In order to try out a more advanced calendar than gnome-calendar I had a
look at Evolution. While doing that I tried out the mail client, and there
were a few plesant surprises:
   * Uses it's own mailbox format making opening of larges mailboxes fast
   * The nice reply-group hotkeys is there

On the other hand:
   * Not using mbox makes it harder to switch MTA and harder to edit the
mailboxes by hand..
   * I couldn't find anything reembling the neat thread-view
   * Has much slower startup
   * No expand-as-you type address book lookup (in general a very clumsy
     selection of recipents).

So my question is this: What are the major differences? And advantages of
Balsa?

--
Regards Martin Leopold.
Dept. of Computer Science, University of Copenhagen