Re: [libesmtp-devel] Licence issues for libESMTP (and Balsa) - long(was Re: NTLM authentication)

On Thu, 2002-01-10 at 15:13, Matthias Andree wrote:
> > it's a known fact that a lot of 3rd party applications programmers,
> > either KDE, BALSA, EVOLUTION and whatever else seem to have this
> > problem, i don't get it why that guy doesn't simplify his licensing
> > modells.
>
> He wrote it, he chooses the license. Remember, there is no natural right
> to use somebody else's code in your application. Unless it's GPLd and
> your application is, but then that's a special copyleft license crafted
> for this purpose.

right, but....

- his packages compiles and links against GPL'ed software and libraries.
- his packages use GPL'ed software to create makefiles and other crap.
- he probably uses GPL'ed software to write his stuff.

would be nice to think about that for some seconds. you know it's the
people outside who uses his software and i don't think that his first
impression to the public by having such a stupid copyright license would
make those people happy. i for my own would be pleased to see my library
and other stuff beeing used in other programms or know the fact that
it'll be used elsewhere.

--
Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de