Re: Imap - special folders question

Hi,

On 2002.02.15 18:49 Klaus wrote:
> Furthermore - what is the meaning/sense of "imap-mailbox", since it just
> shows the inbox, in comparisson to "imap-folders", which do produce the
> result one expects ? Tried to
> look it up but did not find anything in the provided manual.

Well, it's historic. Originally, there was only IMAP mailbox, to be able to
retrieve email from an IMAP server. IMAP mailbox references a single
folder, it ignores subfolders. That is the most simple way to access IMAP
and was the one originally chosen to get up and running fast, I would guess.
Later on there was IMAP folder, which supported a folder containing
subfolders only. Balsa was at that time unable to display folders that have
items _and_ subfolders in them.
Finally, the ability to display items and subfolders in the same folder as
well as show the inbox separately was added, as well as the option to have
the special folders on an IMAP server.
Really, one of the options could be removed and the differing functionality
of the two folded into one. At that time, centralized subscription
management could be added as well.
Using special folders on different IMAP servers will probably have to wait
for the often touted, but never implemented universal IMAP library.
I had a go at it myself once, but eventually found that it would take too
much time away from my paying work.

Melanie