Re: Problem with address-entry

On 31.01.2002 22:42 Peter Bloomfield wrote:
> Here's one attempt (to restore highlighting). It involves a minimal
> `draw' method, which, when an expansion has been found:
>  - saves the selection state;
>  - sets the selection to the alias text;
>  - calls the parent (gtk_entry) draw method, which then highlights the
> alias;
>  - restores the real selection state.
> It's not pretty, but it seems to work (today!). Of course, it needs
> serious testing.

I tried it, it solves the crashes I was experiencing but it's still a bit
flaky : eg when you try to select another region than the alias it's
really chaotic.
In fact I'm not sure the solution to try to use the selection for alias is
completely satisfying. For me it would be perhaps better to use another
font (eg italic) for the alias and not to mess up with the selection. That
has the disadvantage to be a bit harder to code (although I saw something
in gtk+-2.0 of simple markup language for text widget but I'm not sure
this works for entry-style widget).
Moreover the more I try to solve our problem, the more I'm convinced we'll
have to use the same kind of hack that was previously used (ie copy gtk
stuff and hack it to make it do what we want). But I would be very pleased
if you find an elegant solution (ie one that avoids to duplicate gtk
stuff).
For now I must say I didn't find anything satisfying to work around the
various draw/behaviour problems when trying to highlight aliases like a
selection :-(g
Bye
Manu