Re: Patch: Handle distribution lists on alias expansion

>  Toralf Lund wrote:
>  >the test ought
>  > to be written to cover all cases. You might use
>  > LibBalsaAddressBook::dist_list_mode, of course, but that requires the
>  > address book to be found (is there a way to lookup the address book
>  based
>  > on an address), and it's not really what we want for LDIF/LDAP. In
>  fact,
>  > the "dist list" parameter is fairly meaningless for those as person
>(or
>  > organization) entries and distribution lists are completely distinct
>  for
>  > those types. What we really want is probably to keep more of the
>  structure
>  > from the address book data.
>   1. If you only can, ignore dist_list_mode. This field is a semi-quick
>  hack.
In my current implementation, I'm setting a per-address "dist list" flag.
For LDIF, it's value is based on the entry type, i.e. dist_list_mode
setting is ignored completely. It's still consulted for VCARD, though; an
address is flagged as a list if dist_list_mode is set and number of
addresses is >1. For LDAP, I would do the same as LDIF, but I suspect that
list entries won't be included at all because the search logic will return
"person" entries only. I'll have a closer look at that later...

>   2. You can treat LDIF format as the fundamental one. It is most
>  flexible - and also basically identical to LDAP responses. I am sure
>  one can obtain similar effects with VCARD format, though.
We really need a good editor for one of the formats, though. For VCARD
there is gnomecard, of course, but it seems like it isn't maintained
anymore ;-(
>   3. I would consider adding another class LibBalsaDistList. The address
>  book should have entries which can be ordinary addresses or dist
>  lists.
Probably a good idea. That way we could keep the structure of LDAP/LDIF
entries, which would make it a lot easier to format the address string the
way I want. I'm wondering if there's a way of making the change that won't
require a complete rewrite of everything related to addresses, though...

>   Does it sound sensible?
Yes.