Re: problems with imap in 1.2.0

On 2001.09.21 05:49:03 +0100 Steve Cayford wrote:
> Hello. Balsa just keeps getting better.
>
> Unfortunately, I seemed to have missed something switching from 1.1.7 to
> 1.2.0. I have an imap mailbox (pointed at a communigate pro mail server)
> which now gives me the error:
>
> SSL failed: unspecified protocol error
> Could not negotiate TLS connection
>
> Which is odd, because I'm not using ssl, or at least I have the ssl option
> unchecked and am using port 143. I thought I had the checked/unchecked
> thing mixed up, but when I check the ssl option and try to get mail it just

At this point balsa will always try to negotiate TLS is available. Most likely
your imap server has a method balsa doesn't know and it fails. I'd also say
the IMAP server is doing something dumb (is it world connectable, ie. can i
poke it a bit to see what it advertises ?)
TLS is kind of ssl inside imap, so it's prety much automagical (that will get
fixed hopefully)

> spins waiting for a response and not getting one since the server is not
> listening on the imaps port (on a side note: it would be nice to have a
> stop button to bail out in such a case, as it is I have to kill balsa and
> restart). I compiled balsa --with-ssl since I want to set that up in the
> future.

at this point the only way to make balsa not try to negotiate tls if the
server
advertises it is to compile --without-ssl. this is a pain if you have other
servers, sorry.

> I had this mailbox working with 1.1.7 and I can telnet to the imap server
> so I know it's up.

1.1.7 didn't have a fully working ssl, so you were doing plain logins

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds