Build question

	Hi all,
I would like to know hen is automake invoked during the configure/build
process. In fact, my filters patches add several files to compile, so I
patch the Makefile.am concerned. But now, if someone downloads the vanilla
source tree, patch them with my patches, what must he do to generate the
according Makefiles ?
The following works :
download source tree,
patch it,
automake,
./configure...

without the automake step it doesn't work (because in fact Makefile.in are
in the vanilla source tree, and the configure script does not generate them
from Makefile.am).
But with that method I allways have an error message during automake :

configure.in: 45: required file `./ltconfig' not found

So where is the problem?

Thanks

Bye
Manu