Problem sending with Balsa via SMTP

I just installed Balsa today on Slackware 8. I installed esmtp and
pspell, as required. I have set it all up for my email accounts now, and
all seems well. I can check my email and compose etc, however, I cannot
send email. I am on cable through @home service, and I have setup my
SMTP server as 'mail.gv.shawcable.net' (For my area that is the correct
SMTP server). When I try to send something in Balsa, i get the
"Sending..." dialog, but it just sits and sits and never actually sends.
I DID confirm that my smtp server hostname is correct, I tried it in
both evolution and mozilla, and it worked perfectly fine. I Preffer the
smaller, quicker interface of Balsa and would prefer to get it working.

Advice please?

Thanks in advance,
Justin Rebelo