Re: MDN reception

On 2001.09.04 02:33 Brian Stafford wrote:
> On Mon,  3 September 20:49 christophe barbe wrote:
> > I don't know how others mail user agent handle Message Disposition
> > Notification but I imagine they simply add a symbol to the sent mail to
> > indicate 'haas been displayed' without bothering the user with a mail.
> > Perhaps I wrong.
>
> That would be nice but I've not seen a UA that does it to date.
>
> An MDN contains a machine readable part which contains the same
information
> as the natural language message most MUAs show the user.  The information
> in the machine readable part should allow the UA to associate an MDN with
the
> message for which it was requested.  This can be used by the application
> flag messages and present the delivery report in the user's own locale
and
> language.  But as I said, I haven't seen a UA do this - it would be
> excellent
> if balsa did!

Hmmm... Call me unaware of RFCs, but if an MDN has enough information
encoded in it to associate it with the original message, then I would think
it relatively easy for the MUA (balsa, in this case) to identify it as an
MDN, check to see if the original message is still around, and add a mark
(perhaps with a dialog) to the original.

Or am I oversimplifying the case?

Raven
Raven (not the OTHER Raven, THAT Raven! :-)
<dmstowell@ameritech.net>

And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price