Re: Suggestions for Balsa

On 2001.10.06 21:05 Jon Tai wrote:
> 2)  UW IMAP is kind of weird.  It allows folders to contain subfolders
> OR messages, but not both.  So let's say I have a folder named [....]

This is because it is based on ordinary directory structure: you have
files (that may contain messages) and directories (that may contain files,
but not messages).

I verified your story: if I force a directory "mail/lists" into UW
subscribed mailbox list, the answer to

0003 LSUB "" "mail/%"
* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" mail/lists
* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" mail/lists
* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" mail/lists
* LSUB () "/" mail/friends
* LSUB () "/" mail/official
* LSUB () "/" mail/dalton
* LSUB () "/" mail/lists
* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" mail/lists
* LSUB () "/" mail/compnet
* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" mail/lists
* LSUB (\NoSelect) "/" mail/lists
0003 OK LSUB completed

Note that "mail/lists" is listed several times as non-selectable
directory, but once as selectable. So, balsa seem not to act wrong, IMHO.
It's UW-IMAP that claims that mail/lists is selectable, if I interpret
rfc-2060 correctly.

another example of wrong, IMHO, response is:

23 LSUB "" "*"
* LSUB () "/" mail/lists/balsa-bugs
* LSUB () "/" mail/lists/gnome-devel
* LSUB () "/" mail/friends
* LSUB () "/" mail/official
* LSUB () "/" mail/dalton
* LSUB () "/" mail/lists/seawolf
* LSUB () "/" Trash
* LSUB () "/" mail/compnet
* LSUB () "/" mail/lists/cvs-commit
* LSUB () "/" mail/lists/dri
* LSUB () "/" mail/lists
23 OK LSUB completed

Again, mail/lists is listed as selectable.

> I get the desired behavior in Balsa ("Folder" is recognized as a
> folder), but all my other mail clients break.  I don't know how to dump
> the dialog with the server... if you could tell me how, I'd gladly post
> it.

Can you please efine "break" in this context? the parent folders of
subscribed mailbox do not have to be on subscription list, as far as I
understand...

/Pawel
--
Pawel Salek, Theoretical Chemistry, SCFAB, Stockholm
http://www.theochem.kth.se/~pawsa/