Re: Possible bug in balsa, libesmtp, or MS exchange server

On Wed,  3 October 09:13 M . Thielker wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On 2001.10.02 22:29 Heber Farnsworth wrote:
>>  the problem.  However a leading space or any text before the < will give
>>  the message.  The only way to avoid the message is to enclose the name in
>>  quotes as
>>   	"Heber Farnsworth" <farnsworth@olin.wustl.edu>
>
>That's exactly what Outlook dows when talking to the exchange server. It's
>nonstandard, but hey, what about M$ isn't?

Are you saying that the quotes are non-standard?  They are permitted by
RFC 2822.  Please note that the RFC 2822 syntax is *never* used in the
SMTP protocol commands.  (I don't know and don't care about MAPI.)
I think the outlook and/or exchange problem is not that what it accepts is
non-standard, the problem is that it rejects stuff that falls *within* the
standard.

It should be noted that Outlook rejects many mailbox addresses that are
legal according to RFC 2822.  At one time, Outlook would not accept (maybe
it still doesn't) addresses of the form

	fax=+4417560123456/t30s=1234@example.net

For those who don't know why you'd want addresses like this, they are part
of the ietf-fax standards.  See RFC 2301-6.

Brian