Re: [Q]

On 2001.11.27 15:11 Brian Stafford wrote:
> On Tue, 27 November 07:24 Emmanuel wrote:
>> On 2001.11.26 16:14 Brian Stafford wrote:
>
>>> If so, I would not reccommend using this for a filter, since it may be
>>> omitted or in some arbitrary format determined by the sending MUA.
>>> Only the mailbox part of the address can be compared reliably - and
>>> even then the usual care is needed wrt case sensitivity on the left
>>> and right of the @.
>>
>> For now all search is case insensitive, but I think we could have a way
>> to change that.
>
> The domain must always be a case insensitive match.  The left side is
> harder to make a judgement.  Strictly speaking it is case sensitive, but
> many systems consider case to be folded so case-insensitive is likely to
> be right most times.
>
>>> OTOH, if the mailbox address is used as an index into the local
>>> address book to find the string to compare for the filter rules, that
>>> could be made reliable since the user is in control of their address
>>> book.
>>
>> Hmm in fact that's exactly what I want : a way to give the user a way
>> to filter upon things he knows, I mean that in general you don't
>> remember the e-mail address of someone but you remember his
>> name/nickname.
>
> Agreed.
>
>> But the problem is : how can I distinct between a "normal" address and
>> one that is in one of the address books
>
> I'm not clear what you mean here.

That is when a filter applies to a message, it just has a field of type
LibBalsaAdress with no reference/index to an address of an address book,
even if the address is actually in the address book. I think there is just
no way (but to lookup the address in all addresses books, but that's far
too long) to determine if the address contained in the message has a
"reliable" phrase because it comes in fact from the user address book or
"unreliable". So I think that the better I can do is just trust the phrase
(anyway, like I said this phrase is wrote in the messages index, so that,
IMHO, the user should be able to filter upon it).

>> (moreover I want to be able to do that as fast as possible)?
>
> I would guess that some kind of hashed lookup is needed.

I think this is far too expensive (and if I don't make a mistake you can
have remote address books?)