Re: [Q]

On 2001.11.26 16:14 Brian Stafford wrote:
> On Mon, 26 November 09:52 Emmanuel wrote:
>> 	Hi all,
>> I was wondering if looking only to the e-mail address part of an
>> address was sufficient for filters/search functions. I mean perhaps we
>> should also include the "full_name" field of the address because in
>> general you remember it more easily than the actual mail address.
>
> I presume you mean the "phrase" as it is referred to in RFC 2822.

Yes :)

> If so, I would not reccommend using this for a filter, since it may be
> omitted or in some arbitrary format determined by the sending MUA.  Only
> the mailbox part of the address can be compared reliably - and even then
> the usual care is needed wrt case sensitivity on the left and right of
> the @.

For now all search is case insensitive, but I think we could have a way to
change that.

> OTOH, if the mailbox address is used as an index into the local address
> book to find the string to compare for the filter rules, that could be
> made reliable since the user is in control of their address book.

Hmm in fact that's exactly what I want : a way to give the user a way to
filter upon things he knows, I mean that in general you don't remember the
e-mail address of someone but you remember his name/nickname.
But the problem is : how can I distinct between a "normal" address and one
that is in one of the address books (moreover I want to be able to do that
as fast as possible)?
Thanks
Bye
Manu