Re: Building balsa on Tru64 UNIX (without pspell)

On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 01:18:31AM +0000, Carlos Morgado wrote:

> > wants gcc on an Alpha?)
> it's for the times when du cc sucks. really hard.
Software that depends on gcc sucks and people that ignore everything
besides GNU/Linux even more.
Also gcc generates suboptimal alpha code and it suffers from bugs on
"unusual" archs like ARM.

> or you have the even-more-expensive-cc ? :)
Ahh? There is an other cc than the std cc that comes with the base
system?

> ah. a neophite ;)
No. Old iron. ;-) I started using Linux when RPM wasn't invented. When it
came to common use I switched to *BSD. At that time only FreeBSD had a
packaging system. (Later ported to NetBSD und OpenBSD.) This system
is a bunch of makefiles that does somthing like
ftp ftp://ftp.foo.bar/src.tar.ar.gz && tar xzf src.tar.gz && ./configure && make && make install
in a smart and automatic fashion. So self compiling is really the usual
way for me, even when I use the packaging system.

> at some point you'll discover rpm isn't use to install stuff. it's used to
> uninstall stuff ;)
I avoid to use Linux as I don't like it. If I have to use it I prefere
RockLinux, that does not use rpm.

[pspell]
> talk to the pspell people. i want no part of it :)
I did this and did not get an answer. :-(

OK. I am now going to #ifdef the pspell stuff, so stay tuned.
I also eleminated most of the warnings but there are a lot left, due
to the different type check policy of cc. I will have a look at that
when the pspell stuff is done.

BTW:
cc: Warning: balsa-message.c, line 1182: In this statement, "0" of type "int", is being converted to "pointer to const char". (cvtdiftypes)
    g_return_val_if_fail(charset >= 0, NULL);
----^
Please say that this is a bad joke. I am not a very versed C
programmer, but using an other test as == or != for a pointer
is really ugly.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen