Re: RFC mailbox interface

Hi,

On 2001.11.19 13:28 Pawel Salek wrote:
> This implementation would require downloading all the messages in the
> VFolder (so they are available even when removed from original mailboxes)
> which is hardly one would like to do.

No, that will not be necessary. When a folder is opened, sufficient
information is retrieved from the backing store to display an index. That
index-relevant data is associated with the _Message. Inserting it into a
VFolder does not mean downloading the entire message, therefore, but only
re-associating the headers.
Well, if, and only if, the last copy of a message in _any_ backing store
were to be deleted from that folder while contained in a VFolder, the
entire message would need to be downloaded. That could be made an option.
VFolders are so much more usable if it's possible to actually store
messages in them, not just references. Also, all the clutter needed in
other code, is this a message or a ref, treat it thus or thus, lots of
places where code would need to be written to take differences in behavior
between messages and refs into account. By having only one type, this would
all be cleaner.
Also, I'm simply assuming that a local shadow for IMAP is in the not too
distant future, so a download just for the sake of having a message stored
in a VFolder would not be needed, it's already stored in the local shadow.
Easy enough to load that into memory before deleting it on disk.

> I think is is better to keep it more like views in database: when data is
> removed from table, it is removed from the view as well. One can always
> make views persistent, but only on request.

I abhor that concept, to tell the truth. I don't like things I have set
aside to up and change on me while I'm not looking. From a programmers
point of view, things are much more stremlined if there is exactly _one_
type of folder and exactly _one_ type of message present in the interface.

Melanie