Re: Scrollbars .. part two

On 2001.11.04 17:18 M . Thielker wrote:

> display a _very_ brief excerpt of the headers, which does not scroll.
> I don't like that last part. Once I have read the headers, it's a waste
> space to me.

Then, the option to remove the headers from the display should be
quickly accesible, or the headers should be included with the
message body. I don't see the point of using two widgets, one to
show the headers and one for the message body, if you make them
scroll together.

> OTOH, I think that an attachent list that scrolls with the
> message body is more of a hindrance than a help. I sometimes receive
> messages with 50+ separate attachments, always scrolling the window to
> select the next one is a pain. Also, there is no option to either mark..
> than one attachment for saving, or saving all attachments some other way.

Add an "Save all selected attachments to a specific directory"

By the way, Balsa has a major issue with the Gnome_Icon_list that
might confuse a lot of users : You "can" select multiple icons,
but when pressing "save" you will only save the one "under" the
mousecursor.

> I like M$'s approach there... drag attachments, even mutliple selections,
> to the desktop or a folder to save them. Yes, in Outlook this is broken,
> but it was meant to work that way.

:-)

Well. Ms wun the desktop market because they focus their effords
on usability. I guess their choices about such issues have been
well studied by their designers. I also agree that M$'s approach
is the correct one. But that is, of course, just an opinion.

> [CUT .. multiple selections]

> not there is a text/plain part and select it, if present.
> Also, I would like an option to hide the attachments pane completely if..
> email consists of the following parts.

Add the option to display only the attachments pane once selected
from a popup menu. "Message->Show/Hide attachments". This popup
should dissapear if the option is off, then attachments should
always be visible.

> [CUT html emails]

> Also, on my system GtkHTML's default font takes a magnifying glass to..
> Reading HTML mails is a pain and I don't know how to change that.
> Apparently GtkHTML thinks I have a 75 (72) DPI display surface when it..
> in fact, 100 DPI
> Everything looks too small.

You can change that in the Gnome Control Centre at "HTML viewer" I think.

--
Philip van Hoof aka freax (http://www.freax.eu.org)
irc: irc.openprojects.net mailto:freax @ linux.be