Re: Scrollbars .. part two

Hi,

On 2001.11.04 16:38 Pawel Salek wrote:
> How this is really solved in other programs? Would removing attachment
> icons make an improvement?

We may well make use of Microsoft's experience here. Early version souf
Outlook had the attachment icons displayed in the message body. They later
returned to having them in a separate pane, which _is_ resizable. They only
display a _very_ brief excerpt of the headers, which does not scroll.
I don't like that last part. Once I have read the headers, it's a waste of
space to me. OTOH, I think that an attachent list that scrolls with the
message body is more of a hindrance than a help. I sometimes receive
messages with 50+ separate attachments, always scrolling the window to
select the next one is a pain. Also, there is no option to either mark more
than one attachment for saving, or saving all attachments some other way.
I like M$'s approach there... drag attachments, even mutliple selections,
to the desktop or a folder to save them. Yes, in Outlook this is broken,
but it was meant to work that way.
Have a menu option "File->Save Attachments", which pops up a multiple
selection list with all attachments selected (the most common one, I would
think). There, individual attachments can be deselected, after pressing
"OK" a file selector pops up to select the destination directory.
If an individual file is a duplicate, a dialog lets me select "Overwrite",
"Skip", "Rename", "Overwrite all" and "Skip all".
That would be a lot of help, and some people may even choose to have the
attachment list collapsed by default and only pull it up when needed.
While I'm at it, I really, really think there should be an option to
default to displaying the text/plain part in preference to the text/html
part that the MIME header says is the best representation.
In most cases, I get HTML mails that could have just as well be sent as
plain text. The HTML format is the result of the sender using a mailer that
does that by default and they don't know or don't care to change it.
On all those emails, I have to scroll to the bottom, determine whether or
not there is a text/plain part and select it, if present.
Also, I would like an option to hide the attachments pane completely if an
email consists of the following parts.

multipart/alternative
	text/html
	text/plain

and does _not_ have

multipart/related
	text/html
	image/*

That condition normally means that the email has two representations of a
plain text message, exactly identical except for the encoding. In these
cases, I don't want to see the HTML part, don't really even want to know
it's there....

Also, on my system GtkHTML's default font takes a magnifying glass to read.
Reading HTML mails is a pain and I don't know how to change that.
Apparently GtkHTML thinks I have a 75 (72) DPI display surface when it is,
in fact, 100 DPI
Everything looks too small.

Melanie