Re: Balsa + libESMTP patch

On 2001.05.02 18:20:19 +0100 Brian Stafford wrote:
> On Wed,  2 May 17:37 Carlos Morgado wrote:
>
> | > Given that a reliable SMTP client is available for posting mail,
> | > why does one need sendmail to do it instead?
> | >
> | surely you don't sugest we remove the local mta option from balsa ?
>
> Why not?  Nothing is lost.

yes, it is. it keeps people that use multiple isps from sending mail
without pains.
what is the rationale for removing it ?

> | it's the other way around. it allows you to have 1 configuration
> | for all muas you use. some people do use more than 1 mua.
>
> All the MUAs connect to the same MTA (or MSA in RFC 2476's language),
> don't they?

no. they invoke them localy. which is totally diferent from conecting to
localhost on a desktop machine.

> | having muas knowing smtp is even debatled from a design stand point
> | and can only be defended for convinience, not correcteness.
>
> I disagree.  By your argument the MUA should not know how to do
> POP or IMAP either.  Internet applications are connected by the
> protocols, not the traditional way of doing things in Unix.

imap is designed to be included in a mua. pop3 not so much, and i wouldn't
mind seeing it off a mua (indeed i use fetchmail)
since balsa is a unix app, it should do things the unix way.

> | > No.  And this will never become part of libESMTP.  Its for posting
> | > mail remember.  Per domain routing is an MTA function.  Besides,
> | > it's a bad idea when the user is stuck behind a firewall which
> | blocks
> | > port 25 to the outside world.
> | >
> | some people need it in weird setups. another example is weird per user
> | header rewrites (granted, you can do that on a smtp enabled mua)
>
> Read RFC 2476.  It discusses this very topic.

that's neat when you control the MSA. i'm talking about every other situation,
where you either don't control or don't want to mess with it.

> | understand
> | my objections are about an overnight change, and about the options
> | balsa
> | should
> | present to users not about using libesmtp itself.
>
> Right now, its only a patch - the first step towards integrating
> libESMTP into Balsa - offered in the hope that people will try it
> and offer constructive criticism of the code both regarding my
> changes to Balsa and in libESMTP itself.

and thus my request for a --with option. or, with less visibility but
more ease a branch. imho your patch, as was, could not be commited
to the main branch of cvs *now*.

cheers

Software is like sex; it's better when it's free. - Linus Torvalds