Re: Message dragging

On 2001.06.25 12:53 Daniel Foster wrote:

> Dragging messages around has recently been removed.  I don't think
> it
> should have been.  It makes logical sense...
>
> Moving a piece of paper (message) around with your hand (cursor) and
> placing it on a folder (folder) moves it there.

Honestly, I wouldn't argue. Since drag and drop is supported under
many/most mature gnome apps, I think it's good to keep with the
convention.

Although, I never use it...to me, more import is the right-click menu
(transfer). In version 1.1.5, the folder description window width is
too narrow to see the names of some of my folders. This may have been
fixed in 1.1.6 (I vaguely remember someone else finding this
annoying), but I'm still not touching 1.1.6 until someone gives the
IMAP folder problem a "solved" status.

> Also, the old default action was to copy.  I think this should be
> changed
> to moving it because of the above intuitiveness.  The transfer
> context menu
> could be changed to copy, but I think it should just be dropped.
> People
> know that holding down ctrl while dragging makes a copy.

Again, I agree. This is just good practice IMHO.

> I have a lot of mail that comes into my inbox that I read and then
> file
> away.  This used to be jsut a matter of dragging it to where I
> wanted it
> (and holding down shift), but now it's right click-select
> transfer-click on
> folder.  I'm sure I'm not the only one who deals with mail like
> this.

;-) I guess to each his own <g>

> Opinions?

I've always got lots of them <g>