new user setup questions

I am a new gnome and Balsa user and I am attempting to use the Balsa
version
shipping with RH 7.1. A couple of questions/problems have come up right
off
the bat....

1. When setting up Balsa using the wizards that come at first
startup...the
setup wizard points to the /var/spool/mail/username for the inbox
directory
put cannot create the neccesary file. I presume this is a permissions
issue
and have changed this to /home/username/mail/inbox. This allows setup to

complete and the program accessing mail from a remote pop server seems
work BUT....

2. When I attempt to delete a message, I get an unable to access message

body error message (but the message does in fact delete). I suspect
these issues
are related and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction
get this thing configured properly...

Thanks,

Paul