Re: libESMTP 0.8

Hi,

first of all I would like to say that I like your approach to built a
"World Domination" SMTP library :-) I am sure that more and more
programmers will use your library, as it is much easier and less time
intensive to code.

>LibESMTP uses the SMTP protocol (SMTP is the protocol used on the
>Internet to transfer mail from system to system) to submit mail
>to an MTA (colloquially known as a mail server).  This is exactly
>what Unix Netscape, Eudora, Outlook Express etc. etc. does, so
>libESMTP, and therefore Balsa, doing the same is hardly radical.
>Furthermore, mail server configuration is virtually identical.
>If you've ever configured Netscape Messenger on a linux box, you
>already know what to do for Balsa.
>
>LibESMTP does not require any other programs or libraries in order to
>do this, it is completely self contained.  This was a design goal.
>
>What you *do* need, however, is an MTA to submit your mail to, but
>then you needed that before.

Okay, my MTA is smtp.web.de and in balsa 1.1.4 and earlier I simply
configured balsa with:

SMTP Server: smtp.web.de and Port:25

Of course this was the first I tried with the newly introduced libESMTP.
But for unknown reasons it didn't work and even getting the error message
took a long time. I also tried filling the password and user name but this
didn't work either. Perhaps this is a problem with web.de.

Is anybody out there who uses web.de and libESMTP without, e.g. sendmail ?
I couldn't see anybody at the list, but please tell me if there is
somebody.

>| As I don't like it when sendmail makes my PC wait for a minute
>| everytime
>| I (re)boot, I simply downgraded two balsa 1.1.4. It's still on the
>| server.
>
>Then your sendmail configuration is wrong, a corerctly configured
>sendmail starts quickly.  This is hardly the fault of libESMTP and
>is certainly not a good reason for despising it.  If you need
>help with sendmail you could try looking on comp.mail.sendmail

I didn't blame libESMTP to slow my startup process down but I read that
this is normal with dialup connections, as sendmail wants to look for
something on the net. Furthermore I am too lazy to work through all that
sendmail configuration stuff.

Believe me, I would really like to use newest version of balsa but due to
my MTA problems with libESMTP I can't :-(

Bye,
Michael Duelli
m.duelli@web.de
http://glchess.sourceforge.net