Re: Continuing balsa problems: sending mail

On 2001.07.17 22:00:39 +0200 PSR wrote:
> I'm not clear how to set up balsa-1.1.7 to send mail.  If I put my smtp
> server [ smtp.ntlworld.com ] in the preferences balsa hangs when I try to
> send anything. Yet if I leave the default setting [ localhost:25 ] balsa
> appears to work but I don't think the messages get to their destination

Tried "smtp.ntlworld.com:25"? If you don't have the :25 at the end,
libesmtp uses the default port which is 587 (which is the new standard, see
RFC 2476). Most commercial servers don't use this port yet (although the
standard is more than a year old).

Commercial software vendors tend to be "a bit" slower on adopting new
standards, unless they come up with them themselves.

  // J