Continuing balsa problems: sending mail

I'm not clear how to set up balsa-1.1.7 to send mail.  If I put my smtp
server [ smtp.ntlworld.com ] in the preferences balsa hangs when I try to
send anything. Yet if I leave the default setting [ localhost:25 ] balsa
appears to work but I don't think the messages get to their destination (e.g.
I have submitted a number of messages to this list, but they haven't appeared
(at least not yet).

I have experienced crashes when using the help system.  These have been
resolved by re-compiling without threads.  If threads work for some people,
then it would seem to be a distribution issue.  I'm using Mandrake 7.2

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
rkimber@ntlworld.com