Re: LDAP addressbook

On 17 Jul 2001 14:20:20 +0100, Brian Stafford wrote:
> On Tue, 17 July 14:03 Eric Dexter wrote:
>
> > I'm suprised that the LDAP address book works the way that it does. It
> > actually loads the WHOLE tree FIRST, then as you type a name, it
> > searches through the tree. Instead of the way that Eudora etc. handle
> > it: You type your search string first...then it queries the server for
> > that string only. If I knew *anything* about hacking/coding, I'd work
> > on this...but alas, I'm only a (dumb) user.
>
> Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh.......  That is not how to use LDAP!  This approach
> will fail with servers having more than a few hundred entries.

I'll own up to that.  Its supposed to only do a search if X characters
have already been typed.  Its also supposed to catch "Administrative
limit exceeded" when the search does return too many responses.  If X is
3, it will on average only return 1 / (26 * 26) of the responses, which
should be small enough for small servers.  It should be easy enough to
increase X.  But no, it does not wait for the user to hit a key-combo
before searching.  It takes the initiative IF enough characters have
been entered.  It works for me (tm).  PLEASE change it if neccessary.

Its been a long time since I hacked Balsa because of other commitments.

I need to run: All the lights just flashed off and on :P.