Re: libESMTP 0.8.3

On 2001.07.10 02:12 Brian Stafford wrote:
> On Tue, 10 July 02:14 Raven wrote:
>
> > Okay. I downloaded Carlos' rpm of libESMTP 0.8.3. When I was
installingit,
> > rpm detected a dependency of this library to libcrypto.so.0.9.6, which
I've
> > gotten before in previous versions of the library. As before, I've
issued a
> > --nodeps to get past the problem and things seem to work fine.
> >
> > a) Am I making a mistake in doing this?
> > b) If I really do need libcrypto.so.0.9.6, where can I get a good rpm
for
> > it? I'm running Red Hat (obviously) 7.1
>
> The current version of OpenSSL is 0.9.6b, however it is distributed only
> as
> source.  RPMs will have been made by third partys.  I would reccommend
> downloading and building OpenSSL from source.  The last time I looked
> support for shared libraries was a bit iffy, the normal install only
> makes
> static libraries available.

Well, I ran "rpm -qil openssl" and found that libcrypto.so.0.9.6 is present
and accounted for in the database. So there must be something about one (or
both) of the packages such that one isn't seeing the other. In the mean
time, I think it's safe to assume that using the  "--nodeps" parameter when
installing Carlos' rpm is safe under RH7.1, since the dependency is really
satisfied.

Raven
Raven (not the OTHER Raven, THAT Raven! :-)
<ravens_nest@att.net> <http://home.att.net/~ravens_nest>

And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price