Re: spell checking

On Tue, 10 July 15:30 Pawel Salek wrote:

> On 2001-07-10 15:50 Brian Stafford wrote:
> > On Tue, 10 July 14:33 Pawel Salek wrote:
> >
> > > # libpspell_aspell.la - a libtool library file
> > > # Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.4 (1.920 2001/04/24
> > 23:26:18)
> > > #
> > > # Please DO NOT delete this file!
> > > # It is necessary for linking the library.
> > >
> > > Is this statement "It is necessary for linking the library" false
> > then?
> >
> > My understanding is that this is referring to linking the library at
> > compile time when using libtool.  Ld will work OK with lib*.a or
> > lib*.so
> > as is traditional, but when using libtool as a wrapper to gcc or ld it
> > uses
> > the lib*.la to figure out what to link and also library dependencies.
>
> The problem is, the library file is not open by ld but by lt_dlopen()
> function of libtool (I have actually taken the time to look up pspell
> sources) at run time. And this function fails (for me) when *.la file is
> not present. Full stop.

Hmmm, it might depend on how libltdl was configured.  I've had a quick
scan over the ltdl.c  It will search for files ending in LTDL_SHLIB_EXT if
it does not find the .la file, but I think lt_dlopenext() needs to be used
for this to happen.  As I understand it, lt_dlopen() requires a filename
with an explicit suffix and does not search for alternatives.

I suppose another possibility is that some other environment variables
might be needed.

If I'm wrong here about the behaviour of lt_dlopen() or lt_dlopenext()
I'd like to know because it might break a few assumptions I've been making
(not being a libtool expert by any means).

Brian