Re: spell checking

On Tue, 10 July 14:33 Pawel Salek wrote:

> # libpspell_aspell.la - a libtool library file
> # Generated by ltmain.sh - GNU libtool 1.4 (1.920 2001/04/24 23:26:18)
> #
> # Please DO NOT delete this file!
> # It is necessary for linking the library.
>
> Is this statement "It is necessary for linking the library" false then?

My understanding is that this is referring to linking the library at
compile time when using libtool.  Ld will work OK with lib*.a or lib*.so
as is traditional, but when using libtool as a wrapper to gcc or ld it uses
the lib*.la to figure out what to link and also library dependencies.

When loading a library at run time, it is sufficient to have the .so file
in the LD_LIBRARY_PATH or libltdl's search path.

Brian Stafford