Re: Drop down identity selector (was Re: Identities and libesmtp)

On Jul 06 2001 08:12 Daniel Foster wrote:
> > > I just wanted to know what happened to the patch of Aaron Brown (the
> > > drop-down list for the identities)?
> > I've been looking at it, but this approach has some problems that I
> > can't see a good solution around, so it hasn't gone in yet.
>
> What are they?  I think it should be using the kind of dropdown that's used
> in the prefs window for local mail address.  So you can type in whatever
> you want as well as choosing from the predefined list.

The problem I see with the patch was that it used an option menu, which
is a stateful widget... however there is no simple way to ensure that
the state of the menu actually matches the identity that is being used.
It is still possible to change the values of the bcc and reply to
fields, but have the menu display that the identity is being used. Also,
there seems no good way to handle continued messages, especially if the
identity used for the message is deleted between postponing and
continuation.

None of these are insurmountable, but Aaron's patch didn't take them
into account. I've been looking to see if there's a quick and dirty way
to take them into account, but short of building a hashing system to
compare the various values in the compose window to those of the
available identities, there doesn't seem to be a good way of doing it.

Using a combo-box might be a better (interim?) approach as it would seem
to give less of a guarantee about which identity is actually in use.

MBG

--
Matthew Guenther
guentherm@asme.org                  A mushroom cloud has no silver lining.