Re: Lag in Editor

On 2001.07.02 13:13 Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On 2001.07.02 20:02:41 +0200 John W. Redelfs wrote:
> > But now I have another problem.  There is a big lag in
> > using the editor.  I can get way ahead of the onscreen
> > echo when I am typing.  I do not have this problem with
> > emacs, Netscape Messenger, or Elm.  What is going on?
> > Have any of you had this problem?  What is the
> > solution?
>
> yes, i bet you have THEMES installed. i once reported this
> issue to the mailinglist myself. the only solution i found
> was:
>
> a) disabling THEMES
> b) using a lighter theme (i use ADEPT theme now)

Specifically, if you use a gtk theme that is pixmap-based, the editor will
respond more slowly. This is the nature of the gtk widget that is used in
the editor - ultimately a gtk problem, not balsa. There are other
applications that use that widget and are also affected by this problem.

Unfortunately, the pixmap-based themes are also the more interesting ones,
so it leads to a decision as to what's important. To be honest, I'm using
Ganymede right now, which is pixmap-based, and am choosing to deal with the
results. What can I say - I like the cosmetics. <shrug>

Raven
Raven (not the OTHER Raven, THAT Raven! :-)
<ravens_nest@att.net> <http://home.att.net/~ravens_nest>

And if love remains
Though everything is lost
We will pay the price