balsa

hello!

i am interested in using BALSA the reason for this message
is, that i have one big problem, that i cannot solve myself.
i use unix/linux for many years now and compiled many programmes
too. but there was none compared to BALSA that caused that many
problems.

here the problem:

- compiling and installing balsa, not matter what version
  or if its CVS, works perfectly here with default settings.

  ./configure; make; make install-strip

- starting up alsa works perfectly, i entered my pop3 mail-
  boxes as described in the preferences and then i hit
  "check"

- checking hungup ... **** please continue reading ****
  the new dialog with the progressbar stays on the screen
  and wont disappear anymore.

- i read the FAQ and README (i read them already before)
  as the guys recommendet, i set /var/spool/mail to 1777
  starting up balsa gives me the same problem again.

- i was able to read from my incomming mailbox (read messages,
  delete them, move them etc) this says that the permissions
  are set correctly.

- i was able to read my outgoing mailbox and do things same
  as above. but i cant check my mails.

- i then recompiled balsa to disable the flock methode and
  enabled the fcntl locking mechanism. unlikely the same
  progblems arrive.

- after this, i made some tests the HARD way, to make sure
  that it cannot be an permission problem at all.

  i set all atributes in completely /var directory to my
  username and set everything inside to 1777 (only testing)

  restarting balsa still crash at the same point. no new
  mail recived.

- i did the same as above with my homediretory (only for
  testing purposes) restarted balsa and it still hangup.

so far i did this:

- compiled mailboxes etc, set permissions, tried the flock
  and fcntl version but no matter whatever i do, everything
  wont work..

i then started BALSA as root and guess, BALSA this time polls
mail and the dialog disappear really fast. but i dont have
any clue whats wrong, the first thought of mine was, that i
set some permission flags incorrectly, but it cannot be. because
i set all flags (testing only) from my home and the /var
directory to WORLD access, there cannot be something else.

i also tried to STRACE balsa once as user and once as root.
but they comparable show both the same result. (besindes some
not mentionable differences, that for sure cannt cause that
problem)

i really dont have any clue anymore, this after 3 weeks
with messing on BALSA, 1.0.1 source, 1.0.0 source and some
CVS versions. i really dont know what to do or what else
could cause the problem..

i run linux 2.4.0 (final)
glibc 2.2
gcc 2.95.2
gnome 1.2
sawfish 0.35

i have also tried the same with MINIMAL windowmanager
like MWM or TWM, to make sure that the windowmanager
wont cause the problem. but well the same resultate..

any little hints might be helpfull to me since i am an
advanced unix/linux user, you could speak clearly to me
too ;)

some of the BALSA developers have written to me and said
something about some network abilities are not set
correctly or so. i wanted to mention that for security
reasons "inetd" will not be started on bootup. for
testing purposes i enabled inetd and disabled the fire-
wall but still the same problems...

Name....: Ali Akcaagac
E-Mail..: mailto:ali.akcaagac@stud.fh-wilhelmshaven.de