Re: outgoing mail confusion

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 21:52:13 +0000
From: Carlos Morgado <chbm@chbm.nu>
To: balsa-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: outgoing mail confusion

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 08:04:46AM -0800, Lang Hurst wrote:

>> Settings->Preferences->Mail Servers->Outgoing Mail
>>=20
>> Remote SMTP server:  <your isp's outgoing mail server>
>> perhaps append :25 to the end like this   smtp.ispmailserver.com:25
>>=20
>> This is on version 1.2.3 of balsa.
>>=20
>> Really, I'd suggest installing exim, or some other MTA and just using=20
>> localhost:25, just for the learning experience.
>>=20
>

>That only appears if balsa has esmtp support (ie. compiled with libESMTP).
>Otherwise that zone is totally blank and balsa falls back to
>/usr/sbin/sendmail.

OK, that would be nice. The question then becomes why does that not work either. I have setup sendmail and it appears to work as I can mail using Pine, and Pine uses sendmail as well.

Since libesmtp is not on my system and I cannot find it with the SuSE configuration tool I must assume the Balsa was built without esmtp. Trying to build 1.2.3 I ran into all kinds of problems I don't really want to figure out. Thus I'd prefer to stick with the installed version 1.1.7

When I compose a message and then click send I get a little progress window, I suppose that is similar to the window I get whe balsa checks for mail. I pops up and goew away pretty fast. However, I do notice that the appears to be no progress, i.e. there is no percentage counting and the little bar doesn't fill up.

I am not sure if this info is of any use.

Thanks,
Robert

>If that is the case you either need libESMTP  or to configure your local MTA
>to use your ISP as smart relay (most distros have some sort of configuration
>tool for this)

--=20
Carlos Morgado