Crash on sending mail resolved

G'day Peter,

Sorry I'm so behind on responding to this Email -

On 13 Dec 2001 07:35:05 AM balsa-list-request@gnome.org wrote:

> From: Peter Bloomfield <PeterBloomfield@MindSpring.com>
> Subject: Re: Crash on sending mail resolved
>
> On 2001.12.12 04:38 Gaelyne Gasson wrote:

> > My only current curiousity is that something is mangling my butterfly
> > - the X and O in the center line up in my signature file and appears
> > correctly when composing mail but when I view any mail I've sent
> > these are no longer lined up. I've also noticed blank lines for
> > paragraphs that exist when composing messages sometimes 'disappear'
> > after the mail is sent.  (This is viewing the messages both on my own
> > computer and another completely different OS that my workmate next to
> > me uses).  Is there another library I'm missing that's causing the
> > problem or a known bug? Cheers,

(Butterfly snipped for brevity)

> The butterfly looks fine on my screen--quite pretty, in fact!

Thanks

> If you're using a fixed width font, the only feature that I know of
> that might mess around with the layout of your messages is the
> `format=flowed' code. (I note that you have it enabled--thanks! It
> makes multiple quotings much easier to follow.) Leading spaces are
> treated carefully to preserve line layout, but it's certainly possible
> that they're not handled exactly right. You could try (separately and
> jointly) turning it off for receiving and sending, and see if that
> makes any difference.

I've turned this off, and it did seem to give an improvement.

> Blank lines can also be trimmed, at times, with f=f turned on for
> sending. If you enter text continuously, spaces preceding a `Return'
> are deleted. That makes it a hard line-end, which marks the end of a
> logical paragraph. Two consecutive `Return's (separated only by spaces)
> give a blank line. However, if you back up and enter some more text at
> the end of a paragraph, ending with a space, the space *isn't* deleted,
> and the `Return' is treated as a soft line-end, which will be ignored
> when the text is wrapped for sending. That may be what you're seeing.
> You can preview the effect of wrapping by selecting `Edit->Wrap Body'.

Thanks for this - as it turns out I do edit text after writing and many of my
paragraphs had been ending with two blank spaces.  These details helped solve
the problem.  Thanks!

Cheers,
Gaelyne

//\         /\\    Gaelyne R. Gasson        gaelyne@videocam.net.au
||*\  . .  /*||    90 Hillier Rd  Reynella, S.A. 5161, Australia
\\____\X/____//    Phone: +61 8 8322-2716   ICQ: 5069384
 / *  /O\  * \                 http://Gaelyne.com