format=flowed woes in signature handling

Hi,

Mostly in a follow up to message
<20011212200836.O15212@camera.vcsweb.com> by Gaelyne Gasson, where he
says:

[quote]
"My only current curiousity is that something is mangling my butterfly -
the X and O in the center line up in my signature file and appears
correctly when composing mail  but when I view any mail I've sent these
are no longer lined up."
[/quote]

I think I may have some insight on this, as this has happened to me as
well. This bug appeared somewhere around version 1.2.1 or so, and has
been there ever since. I noticed it a long time ago, but never actually
got around to reporting it, sorry. So, cutting to the chase, it goes like
this: I have the logo of the ASCII ribbon campaign in my .sig file, and
it puzzled me somewhat that the first line that actually contained
characters had an extra white space prepended to it. That reminded me of
another bug that existed in most 1.1.x versions, where Balsa would _trim_
the whitespace from the beggining of the first line of the signature. I
reported that in June, and it was eventually fixed in version 1.1.6. So,
anyways, this case is quite different, Balsa is failling to handle white
space on a line by itself, or whitespace in _the end_ of a line. Let me
explain: I have the "Signature separator" checked off, and I have two
empty lines in the beggining of my .sig file, before the signature text
itself. Only today, after toying around a bit with the signature I
noticed that the second of those two lines actually contained a single
white space, instead of being empty (eg, instead of containing just a
carriage return). So, I guess that Balsa is failing to handle that case
and concatenates the two lines together, and thats why I end up having
that trailing white space. If _any_ line happens to contain a white space
as the last character, that line will be prepended to the next one. This
is easily reproduceable, just do:

nuno:~$ echo -e 'foobar \nfoobar2 \nfoobar3 \nfoobar4' > .signature

Now compose a new message, and either postpone it or choose 'wrap body',
and all the foobars will appear in one line. And now, for something
completely different:

nuno:~$ echo -e '\n \n/~\\\n\\ /\n X\n/ \\\n' > .signature

Now, compose a new message. Choose 'Wrap body' from Edit menu, and mind
the gap (cool, this is starting to sound like the subway in London) in
the first line, mangling the ribbon. Thats because of the single white
space in the second line. So far, so good. The message will look like
this when I send it (well, alledgedly), right? Wrong! Now, the fun part,
postpone the message, go to the draftbox and choose to continue. Behold.
Uh-oh, something broke.

(wrap body)
  /~\
\ /
/ \

(postpone + continue)
   /~\
\ /
/ \

None of this happens if I uncheck Settings -> Preferences -> Mail options
-> 'Reflow messages of type text/plain; format=flowed', though.

Well, thats it for now. I have some other nitpicks to report (nothing
related to this, though), but I'm going to grab some dinner now, I havent
eaten anything since lunch and my stomach roaring is probably heard in
Madrid :) Bye for now!

  -- nuno

PS: btw, this is Balsa 1.2.3 from CVS, from a week ago or something.

  /~\ The ASCII        |  N u n o  M o n t e i r o
  \ / Ribbon Campaign  |  n u n o @ p a ra d i g m a . c o . p t
   X  Against HTML     |  P a r a d i g m a  W e b h o s t i n g , L d a
  / \ Email!           |  + 3 5 1 . 9 3 . 6 1 3 4 . 8 9 8