Re: balsa no-thread crash detected

On 2001.08.24 08:10 Brian Stafford wrote:

> QMTP and QMQP are very similar in their characteristics.  The differences
> are more semantic than physical. Roughly, QMQP == SMTP on 587, QMTP ==
> SMTP on 25.

Actually the standard TCP port for QMQP is 628 and for QMTP is 209, maybe
we are talking about different things?

They are considered seperate protocols.  Last I checked QMTP was a scaled
down version of SMTP with a small subset of commands that used netstring
encoding, but I've never really used it so I'm not all that sure.

IMHO QMQP is really nothing like SMTP, other than the fact that it's a mail
transfer protocol.  It has no subset of commands.  It's doesn't waste time
looking at the message, it just injects the message into the queue.  It
assumes the MUA is smart enough to build correct and complete messages and
envelopes.

At any rate, I still don't see why balsa can't offer end users the ability
to send mail using the protocol of there choice.  SMTP is not the only
protocol available to send email, even if libESMTP proves to be the most
efficient protocol by which to submit mail.  By not providing this choice,
balsa may start alienating users and that's the last thing we want.

-tac